What vegetables and fruits can be grown on your balcony or deck?
John, Passionate gardener, Cambridge36 guides
- Planter depth
- Fertilizer supply
- Choice of the species / Exposure to sunshine
Vegetable and fruit plants require suitable containers
4 vegetables that thrive in the sun
3. Peppers and chilis can also be perfectly suitable for a balcony. The choice of species will is often determined by its flavor, which can be sweet or pungent, even spicy! Peppers and chilis also comes in a variety of colors: green, yellow, orange or red. Havin a pot of orange peppers blending in with lush green leaves, now that's the way for your balcony or deck to make an impression!
4. Chard features some varieties with brightly colored petioles of yellow, orange or red. Try the bright lights variety for a bright rainbow of colors.
Potted vegetables and aromatic plants
Salads on a balcony
Root vegetables in containers
Aromatic plants in hanging pots
A strawberry planter
Select species that can bloom several times in a season in priority. These can include Mara des Bois, Queen of the Valley or Annabelle variety. You can also opt for a climbing variety like Truffaut Prodige.
Fruit trees and shrubs for balconies and decks
Dwarf fruit trees, which never exceed 1.50 m in height, will produce fruit in abundance, and of the same caliber as those of traditional trees. These can include apricots, almonds, cherries, peaches, pears, apples and plums, all of which are self-fertilizing. They also have the distinct advantage of being easily moved to shelter in the case of inclement weather (freezing, hail, violent wind).
Who says your deck or balcony can't be delightful and practical at the same time? For more ideas, follow the links below for related accessories, advice from our editors and more helpful guides:
- How to choose your planters?
- How to clean your deck?
- How to decorate your balcony?
- How to choose your leafy trees, plants and shrubs?
- How to choose your garden's flowering trees and shrubs?
- What vegetables and fruits grow on a balcony or terrace?
- How to trim your hedges?
- How to choose your conifers, trees and shrubs?
- How to choose your duckboards and deckboards?
- How to choose your decking boards?
- How to choose your soil?
- How to water your grass?
- How to water your garden?
- How to choose your watering system?
- How to choose your compost?
- How to make your own compost?
- How to choose your mulch?
- How to choose your fertilizer?
- How to choose your sprayer?
John, Passionate gardener, Cambridge 36 guides écrits