What to plant in August?
John, Passionate gardener, Cambridge36 guides
- Planting and sowing in an ornamental garden
- Planting and sowing in a vegetable patch
Planting and sowing for a ornamental garden
Biennial and perennial flowers
What to plant and sow in your vegetable patch?
The vegetable patch
Varietes that can be sown throughout the month include:
- Spring headed cabbage ('Sweetheart', 'express' ...), that will be transplanted in autumn or spring;
- Turnips ('Golden ball');
- Turnip cabbage;
- Corn salad, it is traditionally sown in late summer.
Varietes that need to be sown before the 15th of August include:
- Chinese cabbages (Nappa and Bok choi) can be planted before August 15 for an autumn harvest, or in September in Mediterranean regions, for a winter harvest;
- Winter radishes ('Noir Long Maraicher', 'Violet de Gournay' ...);
Varietes that need to be sown after the 15th of August include:
- Winter lettuce (' Winter Wonder', 'Winter Brown', 'Val d'Orge' ...), as well as leaf lettuce;
- Spinach, which, in this season, will have little chance of successfully seeding;
- White onions ('Paris', 'Vaugirard' ...) that can eventually transplanted in October, for a spring harvest.
Add green manure crops
Maintaining your garden
Orchards and berries
If you deem it to be required due to the soil drying up, don't be afraid to soak the whole pot in water.
The garden and the vegetable garden over the months
Be it permaculture, organic, vegetable or ornamental gardens... they are all based on nature . A good gardener lives to the rhythm of the seasons and adapts his work depending on what month it is. Each seasons has it's own schedule for sowing, planting, pruning and harvesting! To get a better understand of the approach and methods to put into action in your garden in order to have a successful experience, here are some more guides!
- What to plant in March?
- What to plant in April?
- What to plant in May?
- What to plant in June?
- What to plant in July?
- What to plant in September?
- How to garden with the moon?
- How to transplant your vegetables?
- How to start your permaculture garden?
- A close look at permaculture: definition and advantages
- How to choose your strawberry plants?
- When to plant your trees?
- How to grow an organic garden?
- How to decorate and organize your garden?
- How to prepare the soil for your vegetable patch?
John, Passionate gardener, Cambridge 36 guides écrits