Toilet seat buying guide
Pauline, Self-taught handyman, Leeds80 guides
- Design and style
Toilet seat materials
Basic plastic (polypropylene): not very strong and has a tendency to turn yellow over time.
Duraplast (polymer blend): very resistant to cleaning products and UV rays, has a long service life.
Resin: offers more uniquely decorative options while remaining a very resistant material.
Thermoplastic: a synthetic resin created by injection molding. An unbreakable material.
Synthetic resin: scratchproof with a high quality finish. It is composed by compressing powdered or liquid resin and adding a hardening agent.
Wood: attractive finish, service life depends on wood treatment (e.g. varnish) and species.
MDFMDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) is composed of compressed wood-based fibre that offers high quality and easy maintenance.
When using wood products, it's important to treat the material to cope with moisture. Of course, no one wants unpleasant odours in their bathroom and when wood is not correctly treated, it can start to smell.
Toilet seat hardware
- Zinc alloy is used for fittings in mid-range toilet seats. It is resistant and offers good value for money;
- Brass fittings are common on traditional or retro-style toilet seats as they are more durable and offer better protection against corrosion;
- Stainless steel fittings are the top-of-the-line, combining enhanced corrosion resistance and strength;
- Plastic is a more lightweight material but it can often be more attractive pleasing as its colour allows it to blend in with the toilet seat and the toilet pan of close-coupled toilets.
Design possibilities for toilet seats
- Zen decor, resin toilet seat with a pebble or vibrant green plant print;
- Chic decor, resin seat in black resin or wood;
- Family-style decor, white or shades of grey or beige.
Toilet seat sizes and features
- The width and length of the toilet pan;
- Distance between the fixing points.
- Soft close hinges to avoid noisy slamming and damage to the toilet seat;
- An built-in child seat for ease of use for young children.
Japanese toilet seats
A great option for increased hygiene, these toilet seats are available at a wide variety of prices, depending on their technology. They can be equipped with features such as multiple washing jets or electronic control. The price range for these models can be anywhere from about £60 up to several hundred pounds.
Choosing the right toilet seat for your bathroom
Depending on your budget, your toilet seat performance will vary in terms of:
- Flexibility (rigid or flexible)
- Permeability (resistance to water and spraying);
- 'Anti-bacterial' properties.
The more elaborate the toilet seat, the greater day-to-day comfort you'll enjoy. One example of this can be found with mid-range toilet seat models with soft close hinges to prevent seats and lids from slamming down when being closed.
As a basic rule of thumb, low-end toilets are white. Different colours start to become available as you reach mid-range products. If you're looking for the perfect resin toilet seat with a picture of New York, or some bold colours or patterns, you should plan to spend around £40. If the bathroom is equipped with a wall-hung toilet, the dimensions should still be the same, although it never hurts to check the measurements and spacing for your fixings.
Pauline, Self-taught handyman, Leeds 80 guides écrits
I'm a dog trainer by profession, but every weekend I put the whistle down and pick up a tool. The trainer mindset is not so easy to set aside - whether with four-legged or two-legged friends, I love giving advice!
I've been a huge DIY enthusiast for as long as I can remember. I grew up in a house where the whir of the sander was the soundtrack to my weekends - not very relaxing, but always satisfying! DIY challenges our brains as well as our brawn. I've worked hard to teach myself the basics of DIY, decorating and customising furniture. That said, I love what I do. DIY is a way of life, and the tools you learn aren't just the ones you can hold in your hands.
I'm as passionate about animals as I am about DIY, and it's my goal to pass that passion on to others. I know that for some, understanding animal behaviour is as much of a puzzle as figuring out which tool is best for the job. That's why I offer guidance to pet owners specifically - because home is where the heart is for humans and animals alike!
So now that I've introduced myself, it's time to do some DIY - dog or cat sidekick optional!
The products related to this guide
- Free delivery (postcode specific)
- Free delivery (postcode specific)