Sanding sheet and abrasive paper buying guide
Pauline, Self-taught handyman, Leeds80 guides
Paper or canvas holder?
Abrasive: which grain to choose
- Fine: from 100 to 400, for finishing or delicate surfaces
- Medium: from 80 to 100, for cleaning and stripping paint, stain, varnish, etc.
- Coarse: from 16 to 60, for heavy sanding, shaping, and tough materials.
How to select the abrasive paper according to the model of your sander
- Discs or triangle specially shaped for different models of sander with a "fabric effect" bottom for a better grip on the foot.
- Sanding belts, unsurprisingly, for a belt sander. They are a loop of abrasive paper designed to be used only on these machines.
- Roll of corundum paper come in a wide range for specific sander or for specific materials such as wood or plasterboard or different metals.
Do not buy your abrasives with your eyes closed. If your sander requires paper with holes or perforations with holes, make sure the paper matches the dimensions of the machine you are using. These criteria are paramount to making your choice.
For DIY enthusiasts interested in knowing how to choose the accessories related to air paint tools, follow the advice of our editors and discover their Guides:
- How to choose your sander
- How to choose your circular saw
- How to choose your saber saw
- How to choose your wood care products
And to work safely:
Pauline, Self-taught handyman, Leeds 80 guides écrits
I'm a dog trainer by profession, but every weekend I put the whistle down and pick up a tool. The trainer mindset is not so easy to set aside - whether with four-legged or two-legged friends, I love giving advice!
I've been a huge DIY enthusiast for as long as I can remember. I grew up in a house where the whir of the sander was the soundtrack to my weekends - not very relaxing, but always satisfying! DIY challenges our brains as well as our brawn. I've worked hard to teach myself the basics of DIY, decorating and customising furniture. That said, I love what I do. DIY is a way of life, and the tools you learn aren't just the ones you can hold in your hands.
I'm as passionate about animals as I am about DIY, and it's my goal to pass that passion on to others. I know that for some, understanding animal behaviour is as much of a puzzle as figuring out which tool is best for the job. That's why I offer guidance to pet owners specifically - because home is where the heart is for humans and animals alike!
So now that I've introduced myself, it's time to do some DIY - dog or cat sidekick optional!