Mediterranean plants for your balcony and terrace
Crystal, Owner of a small gardening business, Oxford28 guides
- Plant type
- Exposure to sunlight
- Water needs
Mediterranean plant characteristics
Mediterranean plants are resistant to a wide range of weather conditions, for instance mild but wet winters combined with hot, dry summers. They are particuarly resistant to drought and harsh coastal winds.
- modest water requirement
- considerable need for sunlight
- can grow in stony soil
5 Mediterranean favourites
- plan in two prunings per year, one in spring and one in autumn
- choose the best variety for the amount of space you have
- place your pots in a location exposed to direct sunlight
- arrange a dedicated interior space for wintering.
To let your lantanas thrive and beautify your patio or balcony with their bold colours, it's essential that you:
- carry out pruning twice a year, spring and autumn
- don't forget to bring it inside before the first frost of winter
- water regularly but sparingly
- choose a rich compost and fertilize twice a month until flowering, starting at the end of winter.
For successful aloe vera cultivation, you'll need to:
- place place the plant in direct sunlight or partial shade
- choose an appropriate variety that won't become invasive (they can reach up to 3m in height)
- water very occasionally and sparingly
- arrange an inside space for it to spend the winter
- water sparingly
- choose a location with plenty of sunlight
- prune it once a year, in autumn
- use a rich compost
- go for a location with plenty of sunlight
- maintain your plants carefully - pruning once a year in spring
- avoid excessive quantities of water
- store safely inside over winter
Learn more about gardening...
How to decorate your balcony?
What vegetables and fruit to grow on your patio or balcony?
How to choose your balcony trees and shrubs?
How to choose your compost?
How to install a drip-by-drip irrigation system?
How to install underground irrigation?
How to choose your herbs?
How to choose your perennials?
When to water your garden?
How to grow an organic garden?
How to choose your flowering trees and shrubs?
10 beneficial plants for home and garden
How to choose your perennials?
How to design and decorate your garden?
How to treat an injured tree?
How to treat a diseased tree?
How to transplant your vegetable plants?
How to choose your crop sprayer?
How to choose your protective eyewear?
How to choose your respiratory protection?
How to weed your garden?
How to choose your lawnmower?
How to choose your strimmer?
How to choose your wood saw?
How to choose your hand trimming tools?
How to choose your fertilizer?
How to make compost?
How to landscape and decorate your garden?
How to trim your hedge?
How to choose your lawn?
How maintain your lawn?
Crystal, Owner of a small gardening business, Oxford 28 guides écrits
After many disappointments, I finally started a small-business in home services, specifically in gardening, assisted by my loving, dear husband. Passionate about nature and wild edible plants, I am very attentive to ecological solutions and respectful of our environment in all aspects of my daily life.
From the vegetable garden to the flower beds, from seed to harvest, I have all kinds of advice up my sleeve. Do not hesitate to ask me your questions.