How to sow your lawn from seed?
Crystal, Owner of a small gardening business, Oxford26 guides
Sowing your lawn from seed is the best way to ensure a beautiful result. Prepping the soil, broadcast seeding, watering and rolling: we'll go through all the steps needed to succeed in properly laying your lawn. Watering, weeding, mowing: here's our advice to have a beautiful green garden!
- Clean the ground
- Covering with soil
- Finishing up with the roller
Five steps to sowing sod
1. Clean the ground
- Plan to clean the ground on a sunny day;
- Do not overwater the soil before cleaning;
- If using a tiller, reduce the cutters' rotation speed so that the root is pulled correctly, and that the soil does not become too thin. It's important to avoid this at all costs, or the soil will become compact at the first drops of rain;
- After cleaning, allow time for the soil to rest. The sun can also dry out any last blades of grass that have not yet been removed.
2. Level the ground
3. Broadcast sowing
- The selected seed mixture depends on the lawn's intended use, be it for games, pleasure or other.
- The packet of seeds must be well shaken before use: smaller seeds tend to stay stuck at the bottom of the pack. For an even distribution of each variety, simply shake the bag for a few seconds;
- One's pace is very important in broadcast sowing. It's important to maintain the same gestures, at precise and regular intervals, to ensure a uniform spreading of the seeds;
- The weather plays an important role, as the intial sowing should not be undertaken if there is an increased risk of wind or rain;
- Landmarks should be designated throughout the garden so as to avoid passing over the same sport several times.
4. Cover the seeds with soil
5. Finish off with the roller
5 tips to apply after planting sod
5. Ride again
For Do-It-Yourselfers who are curious and want more know-how, follow the links below to find more resources, advice and guides:
- How to choose your lawn?
- How to choose your soil?
- How to prepare you lawn for spring?
- How to maintain your lawn?
- How to replenish your lawn?
- When should I sow my lawn and plant my trees?
- How to choose your synthetic grass?
- How to choose your tiller or cultivator?
- How to choose your lawn mower?
- How to maintain your lawn mower?
- How to choose your wheelbarrow?
- How to choose your weeding tools?
- How to choose your weed killer?
- How to choose your watering can or sprinkler?
- How to choose your watering system?
Want other options to spruce up your exterior? Check out these ideas:
Crystal, Owner of a small gardening business, Oxford 26 guides écrits