How to recover rainwater?
Albert, Manager of a gardening service, Leicester48 guides
- Surface tank
- Underground tank
- Rainwater butt
An eco-friendly solution that saves you money
Different uses, legal framework and implementation
Uses for rainwater and legal framework
Rainwater may also be used inside the house, provided that a number of guidelines are met. Here are a few of these guidelines to get started.
First, it should never be intended for food consumption as the water is not safe to drink.
Furthermore, a secondary network must be installed with specific taps for each source. These taps must not coexist, even in the same room, with the exception of garages, cellars or auxiliary rooms. Even with the exceptions however, they must be able to be completely blocked with an external tool and can not remain permanently accessible. Finally, any rainwater tap must have special signs, including on any toilets that are connected to the network. Rainwater can also be used for washing clothes, if equipped with a suitable filtering system.
- Hanging underneath, all around the roof, the gutters recover the water coming down from the roof;
- They are equipped with some sort of sheet filtering system, either a downpipe filter or a gutter filter, also referred to as a gutter guard, or ideally both;
- Other gutter accessories can provide additional filtering or contribute to strength and tightness of the assembly;
- The downspout, which links the gutter system with the city rainwater network, will then normally carry on with the evacuation of rain water.
- The rainwater collector;
- The rainwater butt.
If the floor slopes even the slightest bit, a perfectly horizontal concrete slab will be needed as a support. It must be completely straight (to check with a level) and wide enough to support the weight. After connecting the collector to the downspout, it must be linked to the butt.
Some models are equipped with an overflow system, which allows for the routing of any excess water to the rainwater network once the tank is fulll, without any intervention from the user.
Water recovery with underground tank
Its installation is complex, requiring an important amount of work. It must also be paired with a surface pump to ensure the constant flow of water from the tank to the home's secondary water network and outward.
An overflow device connected to the run-off water collection system must be installed as well as an additional tank filtering system.
Big, medium or small, any home can benefit for saving water. Follow the links below for other ideas, related accessories, advice from our editors and more helpful guides on how to best accomplish your water conservation goals:
- How to install a rainwater recoverer?
- How to choose your rainwater collector?
- How to choose your rainwater butt?
- How to choose your water filtration system?
- How to choose your surface pump?
- How to choose your watering system?
- How to choose your buried watering system?
- When should I water my garden?
- How should I water my grass?
- How to choose your tap spout?
- How to choose your gutters?
- How to choose perennials for your balcony or terrace?
- How to choose your roof protection and maintenance products?
- How to choose your bubble level?
- How to choose your laser level?
- How to choose your garage?
- How to choose your carport?
Albert, Manager of a gardening service, Leicester 48 guides écrits
In fact, as a trainee and working in the hospitality industry at the beginning of my career, I focused on landscaping in a local community where I acquired solid technical skills through in-house training and the follow-up of major projects in a rapidly changing town.
On a personal level, I am equally oriented towards the art of gardening. With my wife, I created our garden from start to finish and I maintain it carefully, the same goes for the vegetable garden. As for DIYing, it’s not to be outdone. Yes, gardening is also tinkering: pergola, hut, pavement, fence, and so on...There is always something to do in a garden.
After working well together, my wife and I are proud of the result and delighted to be able to take full advantage of a friendly and warm environment. So, let us give you advice and help you in your choice of tools, maintenance, or improvement of your garden, nothing could be simpler.
The products related to this guide
- Free delivery (postcode specific)
- Free delivery (postcode specific)