How to prepare your vegetable patch in spring
John, Passionate gardener, Cambridge42 guides
- Preparing the soil
- Hand and power tools
When to prepare the soil
In autumn and at the start of spring, you will have to think about preparing the soil for the upcoming season.
Preparing the soil in a vegetable garden or patch is especially important
Especially in the vegetable garden, the preparation of the soil is crucial as it results in a fine, loose earth, that surrounds the seeds in a consistent way. This is favorable to the seed's successful germination and strong roots.
Working the soil during periods of frost is not recommended. It's better to wait for the soil to be properly drained, or that the excess water has evacuated due to gravity. A slightly dryer surface soil will be easier to work.
To eliminate weeds without chemicals, there's only one proven method: the manual one, using a tool like the weeder, hoe, or for highly motivated people, by rolling up one's sleeves and removing them by hand.
What tools should I use to prepare the soil?
The first step in soil preparation is traditionally ploughing or tilling the soil. To accomplish this, one can use a spade or a garden fork. Another tool, one that has become very popular recently, is the fork hoe, equipped with two prongs. It is also referred to as a cantebury or double headed fork, or even a biofork, and has the distinct advantage of not only saving time and energy, but also avoiding upsetting the layers of the soil. It therefore better respects all the underground microfauna.
What to do with the mulch?
Fertiliser le sol
After using a green fertilizer
For garden lovers and enthusiasts who want more know-how, follow the links below for gardening related accessories, advice for our editors and more gardening guides:
- How to weed your garden?
- How to choose your weeding tools?
- How to choose your tools for working the soil?
- How to choose and maintain your tool handles?
- How to choose your lawnmower?
- How to choose your tiller or cultivator?
- How to choose your cultivator?
- How to choose your fertilizer?
- How to choose your compost?
- How to choose your mulch?
- How to choose your weed killer?
- When to prepare your seedlings?
- When to plant a tree?
- How to choose your soil?
- How to prepare your soil for a kitchen garden?
- How to choose your planters?
- How to choose your greenhouse?
- How to choose your watering can or sprinkler?
And for month by month guides:
- What to plant or sow in March?
- What flowers should I plant in March?
- Which vegetables should I plant in March?
- Which vegetables should I plant in April?
- What flowers should I plant in April?
- Which vegetables should I plant in May?
- What flowers should I plant in May?
- Which vegetables should I plant in June?
- What flowers should I plant in June?
- What should I sow or plant in my garden in July?
- What should I sow or plant in my garden in August?
- What should I sow or plant in my garden in September?
John, Passionate gardener, Cambridge 42 guides écrits
At the request of various publishers I have, over twenty-five years, written many books on the subject of plants and mushrooms (a subject that is close to my heart).They were mostly identification guides at first, but shortly after they were about gardening, thus renewing the first passion of my childhood.
I have also regularly collaborated with several magazines specializing in the field of gardening or more generally in nature. There is no gardener without a garden, I have cultivated mine in a small corner of Cambridge for the last thirty years and this is where I put into practice the methods of cultivation that will I advise you in as well.
The products related to this guide
- Free delivery (postcode specific)
- Free delivery (postcode specific)