How to maintain iron
Lukas, Constructeur bois passionné, Marne36 guides
Rust attacks all untreated iron surfaces. If galvanizing or steel - stainless steel - is the solution against rust, iron paints and anti-rust products can protect a metal from corrosion. Rust remover and fixative are also effective in treating metals against oxidation.
- Primer and anti-rust
- Rustproof paint
- Rust converter
- Rust remover
What is anti-rust?
In contact with atmospheric agents such as air and water, most metals will undergo the process of corrosion that will at first simply change their appearance, but will more importantly deteriorate it in the long run: it is rust!
Very unappealing, rust is especially renowned for weakening metals - especially outdoors, which can prove dangerous when metals are used in supporting structures or parts.
Anti-rust & Metal primer
Aqueous phase or solvent phase
Ferrous and non-ferrous metals
The anti-rust paint has two important advantages: a great time save, immediately providing you with the desired finish. It should however be noted that a quality primer is more durable for the protection of metals: it's up to you!
Application of a anti-rust products
How to restore a rusty metal?
Rust converter for metal
Rust remover is a very effective product for restoring any metal: after its application, you will only have to apply rust preventive primer or rustproof paint and you're set for a few years!
Other products for metal
How to paint a rusty metal?
- The quick and economical solution is to clean and sand the iron, then apply multiple coats of anti-rust paint. You choose the finishing of your choice and save yourself on the time on the prep;
- The long but durable solution, requiring the application of a rust converter or remover, a primer and then special paint metal. Tedious work but guaranteed to last!
Rustproof paint is applied as a conventional paint, with a roller or a brush. It is crucial to respect the drying time between two layers as recommended by the manufacturer.
4 questions / answers about metal
Why does the metal rust?
What metals do not rust?
The oxidation of zinc is comparable to the oxidation of silver, copper and aluminum and presents in the same way, with only a thin layer on the surface which makes the metal more dull, butit does not alter its durability. Stainless steel is the name given to a anti-rust steel - this label is due to its composition of less than 1.2% carbon and over 10.5% chromium. Galvanizing can also be used to treat metals against corrosion. Gold is the only metal to be stainless, only one small issue: its price!
How to remove rust from a metal?
How to give metal a rusty look?
As for other products: be sure to use the applicable protection for any application!
For anyone leading the fight against rust, restoring old pieces or simply curious for more DIY-tips, follow the links below for related accessories, advice from our editors and more helpful guides:
- How to choose your brushes?
- How to choose your paint roller?
- How to choose your paint, primer and undercoat?
- How to choose your painting tools?
- How to choose your paint gun?
- How to choose your sander?
- How to choose your sand and abrasive paper?
- How to choose your grinder?
- How to choose your grinder accessories?
- How to choose your decorative paint?
Lukas, Constructeur bois passionné, Marne 36 guides écrits
Bon bricolage !
The products related to this guide
- Free delivery (postcode specific)