How to lime your lawn?
Crystal, Owner of a small gardening business, Oxford28 guides
- Soil pH
What is liming and why lime grass?
- The roots are no longer able to properly assimilate the nutrients present in the soil;
- Lawn growth is greatly reduced or even halted;
- The lawn is no longer uniform and has visible holes;
- Moss and mushrooms start to appear.
By rebalancing the pH of the soil, liming makes it possible to:
- Increase the efficiency of the fertilizers;
- Help the grass take route;
- Favor the development of micro-organisms in the soil;
- Limit the appearance of weeds.
Liming the lawn in three steps
Step 1: Measure pH of soil
- Take a sample of soil from anywhere between 5 and 10 centimeters below the surface ;
- Place the sample in a container;
- Add a small amout of water to slightly wet the sample;
- Sprinkle the mixture with baking soda;
- Observe: if the baking soda begins to bubble, the soil is acidic. Liming is required.
- Take a soil sample, taking care not to make skin contact with the sample. This would have an impact on the test results;
- Place the sample in the container provided by the kit and cover with a neutral pH water;
- Close the container and shake well;
- Allow time for the sedimentation to take place: the grains of soil will fall to the bottom of the container and the other particles will gradually move to form different layers;
- The water will turn a specific color: compare the color to the color chart provided with the kit.
Second step: scarifying the grass
- Monitor the weather and choose a hot and humid day, as heat is more conducive to soil regeneration. The moss will also be drier, so easier to remove;
- Before scarification, mow the grass to a height of 2 cm;
- The soil should not be too dry or soggy.
Third step: lime the grass
- Agricultural lime. Its rapid action makes it the ideal ally of clay-humic soil;
- Magnesian lime or dolomitic lime. It is also used for clay soil;
- Ground limestone. Its slow action is suitable for sandy soils.
Lime is an irritating and corrosive substance. During liming, appropriate safety equipment should be worn to avoid any accidents.
- How to prepare you lawn for spring?
- How to sow your lawn from seed?
- How to maintain your lawn?
- How to prepare your seedings?
- When to prepare your seedlings?
- When to sow your grass and plant your trees?
- How to choose your synthetic grass?
- How to choose your fertilizer?
- How to choose your lawn mower?
- How to maintain your lawn mower?
- How to choose your wheelbarrow?
- How to choose your watering can or sprinkler?
- How to choose your soil?
- How to choose your weed killer?
- How to choose your scarifier?
Want other options to spruce up your exterior? Check out these ideas:
Crystal, Owner of a small gardening business, Oxford 28 guides écrits
After many disappointments, I finally started a small-business in home services, specifically in gardening, assisted by my loving, dear husband. Passionate about nature and wild edible plants, I am very attentive to ecological solutions and respectful of our environment in all aspects of my daily life.
From the vegetable garden to the flower beds, from seed to harvest, I have all kinds of advice up my sleeve. Do not hesitate to ask me your questions.