How to choose your torch or portable lamp?
Sebastian, self-taught DIY-er, Exeter177 guides
- Lighting power
- Power source
- Materials and comfort
Different types of torch
- batteries, rechargeables or not
- a proprietary battery, at various voltages
- gas, in a disposable cartridge or refillable bottle
- du kerosene, to be poured into a containing reservoir
- a specialized rechargeable battery
- standard batteries
- with aluminium reflector
- with metal protective grille
Site lamps can run on:
- neon strips
- standard bulbs
- have a protective grille
- run on standard or proprietary batteries
- offer Bluetooth connectivity and integrated speakers
- have shock protection…
These types of lights are typically mains-powered. Like the smaller site lamps, they'll often need to be run off an extension cord.
Key features of a handheld torch
The most important features of portable torches and lamps are:
- power rating
- light intensity – either in terms of number of LEDs or lumens
- energy – standard versus proprietary batteries, etc.
- autonomy, i.e. use and recharge times (if battery)
- weight and bulkiness
- robustness – including whether it has a protective grille
- materials, comfort and utility.
Learn more about DIY topics...
Sebastian, self-taught DIY-er, Exeter 177 guides écrits
Redo a roof with wooden beams? Check.
Advise Mister everybody in the DIY shop? Check.
Redo the bathroom plumbing? Check.
Fit together, build the walls, paint a partition, throw my hammer in a rage thinking that it will fix the problem? Check.
The DIY motto ? Learning is better than delegating… well, it's also a question about your wallet! The satisfaction? The beer at the end of the job!
What do the best have in common? The influence of Gyro Gearloose, Mac Gyver and Carol Smiley depending on your generation, a good dose of curiosity, a average hand-eye coordination and a taste for risks… and if it doesn't work, try again! Advise you? I'll do my best!