Guide written by:
Sebastian, self-taught DIY-er, Exeter
Stickers for the kitchen, for the bathroom and trompe l’oeil stickers for the living room walls: stickers are an easy-to-use, highly affordable way to decorate your living space and can be had to suit all tastes. Follow our helpful guide to avoid wrinkles and other sticking points!
- Applying your stickers
- Functional and educational stickers
Decorative stickers... What's that all about?
Decorative stickers are self-adhesive, generally printed on recycled paper and can be used to spice up a wall, a bathroom unit, doors, toilet seats and even vehicles. Very easy to use, stickers should be applied on a smooth, clean surface. The main advantage of these stickers is their capacity to transform a space instantly.
Depending on your taste and the colour scheme of the room, a wide range of stickers can be obtained:
- animal stickers
- Zen and Feng Shui-style stickers
- modern geometric patterns
- trompe l’oeil 'library' stickers with images of book spines to decorate a stretch of wall
- countryside vistas to inspire wanderlust
Depending on the room you're planning to use them in, stickers can be water-resistant - e.g. dedicated kitchen and bathroom stickers. They can also be chosen to fit the existing theme of a room: images of condiment shelves for behind the kitchen worktops or beside your credence, for instance.
How to apply a toilet sticker?
To apply your stickers successfully, without wrinkles or air bubbles, you need to:
- ensure the surface is thoroughly clean, as dust can cause problems
- if necessary, cut stickers down to size to fit the area you're applying them to - a pair of scissors will do the trick
- take measurements in advance with a measuring tape
- carefully peel off the sticker backing from top to bottom
- apply stickers delicately, and smooth down if necessary (i.e. with a wallpaper brushor duster).
Pair of scissors
Functional and decorative stickers
Beyond interior decoration, stickers can serve a practical or even educational function:
- letter stickers with room names or children's names on the doors of rooms
- educational stickers - world map, alphabet, animals, etc.
- magnetic stickers to stick down post-it notes etc.
- blackboard stickers and chalk, very handy in a kitchen, workshop, etc.
- adhesive whiteboard stickers to write on in marker pen
- stickers to advertise a service or professional concern - cleaning, building work, etc.
Learn out more about home improvements...
To find out more about home improvements, follow our editors' advice and check out their other guides:
How to furnish your bathroom?How to choose your worktops?How to choose your kitchen credence?How to choose your measuring tape?How to choose your wallpapering tools?How to redecorate your kitchen?How to choose your toilet accessories?How to choose your toilet seat?How to choose your shower components?How to choose your heated towel rail?How to choose your bathroom heater?How to choose your bathroom radiator?How to create a good bathroom layout?How to choose your rawlplugs?How to choose your kitchen waste bin?How to decorate your bathroom?How to choose your bathroom sink?Shower or bath: which is best?
Guide written by:
Sebastian, self-taught DIY-er, Exeter, 198 guides
Redo a roof with wooden beams? Check.Advise Mister everybody in the DIY shop? Check.Redo the bathroom plumbing? Check.Fit together, build the walls, paint a partition, throw my hammer in a rage thinking that it will fix the problem? Check. The DIY motto ? Learning is better than delegating… well, it's also a question about your wallet! The satisfaction? The beer at the end of the job! What do the best have in common? The influence of Gyro Gearloose, Mac Gyver and Carol Smiley depending on your generation, a good dose of curiosity, a average hand-eye coordination and a taste for risks… and if it doesn't work, try again! Advise you? I'll do my best!