Handrail and ramp buying guide
Julie, Interior Designer, Manchester22 guides
Choosing a handrail or a stair ramp is not just a simple aesthetic choice! It is important to study the support, especially for the staircase or balcony handrail. Consider the materials such as rope, wood, stainless steel, or aluminum, even if it is for a terrace.
What is a handrail?
The handrail and stair ramp are essential to ensure the safety of people when traveling in areas at risk of falls - stairs, balconies etc.
What are the characteristics of a ramp?
Try to avoid those over the top, original designs, which very uncomfortable to use and which do not allow the the greatest easy of mobility. It therefore tends to be a rather rounded shape.
This factor is fundamental for the visually impaired who can not distinctly make out the whole structure. It should also be noted that the choice of the material and the color must be consistent with the home's decor.
It is necessary that the grip be continous, with the least breaks possible, for the same reason: to promote the ease of movement.
Which material to choose for the structure?
In order to choose the structure's material, we mentioned a few different factors to consider. Indeed, for a ramp or handrail positioned outdoors, you will need take into account the region's climatic conditions and opt for a weather resistant and non-slip material.
Where to fix a handrail?
Here are some tips for installing your stair ramp in the best possible conditions.
- A stair stringer (wooden or metal part on which the steps are fixed). To fix the ramp, the space between the other elements (sills or panels) and the step must not exceed 18 cm;
- A staircase without treads (freestanding), the height between the decoration (low bar or panel) and the step nose must not exceed 5 cm.
- Fix your support, pull a rope between the first step, at 90 cm height, and the last step to calculate the structure's angle;
- Attached the selected handrail supports and then install the handrail.
For anyone renovating or building your dream home, follow the links below for accessories, advice from our editors and more helpful guides to ensure your house is comfortable and well-maintained:
- How to choose your woodcare products?
- How to maintain iron?
- How to choose your tools for sawing and decorating wood?
- How to choose your fixing plugs?
- How to choose your tape measure?
- How to drill a wall?
- How to choose your drill?
- How to choose your drill bits?
- How to choose your cables and wires?
- How to choose your screwdriver?
- How to choose your electric screwdriver?
- How to choose your screws?
- How to choose your screwdriver bits?
Julie, Interior Designer, Manchester 22 guides écrits
After years of DIY, renovation, designing, I decided to turn my passion into my career.
Starting in 2006, in the South-West, I helped people with renovation or contruction projects. My expertise and my curiosity led me to look further into innovative ideas for myself and my clients.
Indeed, to live your passion is also to transform the space you live in and the objects you use daily. My family love my creations and ideas that I bring into their lives!
My favourite thing to do: use colour to brighten up interior space. But also tips to hide away clutter. Your home is just never big enough, is it? It is thus a great pleasure to share my tips with you, so that you also can take as much pleasure as I do when starting up your next project!
The products related to this guide
- Free delivery (postcode specific)