Football table buying guide
Sebastian, self-taught DIY-er, Exeter177 guides
- Playing surface
The main types of football tables
Commercial football tables
Football tables with coin slots
Football tables with coin slots are most commonly seen in pubs and games rooms. To play a match, simply place a coin into the football table. As these football tables are intended for intensive use, they are often made from melamine wood with aluminium players.
Football tables for those with reduced mobility
There are also football tables designed for people with reduced mobility or those with disabilities. These models are also suitable for small spaces and for temporary use.
Junior football tables for children
Main features of football tables
If you're looking for the best football table for friendly tournaments, you should go for a commercial football table.
- Weight: depends on size and materials, determines the stability of the equipment. Recreational football tables (with or without coin slots) weigh around 53 to 75 kg. The lightest models weigh around 20 kg.
- The box and legs of the football table are available in the following materials:
- beech effect melamine with visible grain made to look like traditional football tables or wenge effect melamine for a sleeker and more modern aesthetic;
- solid beech for competition grade or luxury football tables.
- A Gerflex playing surface with raised edges to allow you to put the ball in the corner and to avoid the ball from getting stuck in the middle of the game.
- The bars are generally made of steel and the aluminium players are traditionally painted blue and white for one team and red and white for the other.
- Broad ergonomic handles designed to improve grip.
- Dimensions of commercial football tables:
- Length: approx. 155 cm
- Width: approx. 76 cm
- Height: approx. 91 cm
- Playing surface: approx. 121 cm x 70 cm (thickness: 9 mm)
- Bar diameter: 1.45 cm
- Distance between players' feet/pitch: approx. 1.5 cm
- Height of players: 12.5 cm
- The balls are usually made of natural-coloured cork or painted white or in neon colours. Delivered in 2 parts for football tables without coin slots and in 11 parts for pub football tables with coin slots.
- A score counter above the goal.
Choosing a style for your football table
When used at home, football tables are a decorative object in their own right. If you're not a fan of the traditional 1960s style of football table, there is a variety of modern football tables to choose from:
- wenge football tables;
- white or orange football tables;
- stylish black or silver-grey football tables.
Coatings for football table playing surfaces
- wooden pitches;
- tempered or sandblasted glass pitches;
- Gerflex pitches.
Football tables with wooden playing surfaces
Wooden playing surfaces (most commonly melamine) make for an especially lively game as they offer faster play than Gerflex. This material is more hard-wearing as it is less sensitive to UV rays and humidity. It offers a good alternative to Gerflex. However, purchasing this type of model will pay off in the long run as the material is strong.
Football tables with glass playing surfaces
Contrary to popular belief, glass coatings are not fragile. They are usually made of tempered glass and are perfect for fast-paced matches. Sandblasted glass coatings are also available. This material offers better ball control. However, people who are used to wooden playing surfaces may find themselves disoriented at first because of the fluidity and speed of the game on this kind of pitch.
Football tables with Gerflex playing surfaces
Gerflex pitches are very popular with French-style table football. This was the material of choice for football tables among older generations. This coating is specially designed to improve ball control during the game. It makes the ball move faster and makes stopping easier. As such, this material is suitable for professionals as well as amateurs. Nonetheless, don't forget to check the material's ITSF (International Table Soccer Federation) certification to guarantee quality of play. This coating must also be protected from the sun and humidity if you want it to last.
Choosing the best football table for your needs
Warranties and maintenance
It's worth noting that established football table retailers, such as Scudetto, Bonzini, Sulpie and René Pierre, offer premium warranties (replacement of handles, etc.). What's more, they have been building expertise and market presence for decades meaning their football table games are hard-wearing and 100% reliable.
More informationFor more information on outdoor play equipment, check out these guides on related topics:
- Outdoor play equipment buying guide
- Slide buying guide
- Sandpit buying guide
- Bouncy castle buying guide
- Trampoline safety net buying guide
- Pool toys buying guide
Sebastian, self-taught DIY-er, Exeter 177 guides écrits
Redo a roof with wooden beams? Check.
Advise Mister everybody in the DIY shop? Check.
Redo the bathroom plumbing? Check.
Fit together, build the walls, paint a partition, throw my hammer in a rage thinking that it will fix the problem? Check.
The DIY motto ? Learning is better than delegating… well, it's also a question about your wallet! The satisfaction? The beer at the end of the job!
What do the best have in common? The influence of Gyro Gearloose, Mac Gyver and Carol Smiley depending on your generation, a good dose of curiosity, a average hand-eye coordination and a taste for risks… and if it doesn't work, try again! Advise you? I'll do my best!