Electric lawnmower buying guide
Albert, Manager of a gardening service, Leicester48 guides
- Corded or cordless
- Cutting height
- Cutting width
- Type and operation
Benefits of an electric lawnmower
Electric lawnmowers are particularly well suited to surface areas of less than 700 m²; beyond this point, go for a petrol-powered mower or even a ride-on mower for the biggest gardens. Electric lawnmowers offer a number of advantages: they require next to no upkeep, are quiet, lightweight and compact and offer easy start-up. In terms of performance, they compare favourably to a medium-range petrol lawnmower as they can be just as efficient but are much less noisy.
How to choose an electric lawnmower
Main characteristics of an electric lawnmower:
- power rating, depends on the cutting width and size of the garden;
- battery power, a high ampere hour (Ah) rating will guarantee a longer battery life;
- push models can be used for flat gardens of under 500 m²;
- self-propelled models can be used for sloping gardens and/or those measuring over 500 m²;
- mulching prevents you from having to gather the grass which is chopped up and left behind as fertiliser;
- grass box: your mower may or may not feature one; can be made of plastic or cloth; capacity of 30 litres for gardens under 400 m² and 50-60 litres for larger spaces;
- cutting width, depends on the size of the lawn:
- less than 46 cm for lawns measuring less than 400 m²;
- from 46 to 53 cm for gardens measuring 400 to 700 m²;
- cutting height, from 20 to 60 mm depending on your preferences (40 mm for a classic lawn);
- additional options:
- folding and adjustable handlebar;
- anti-vibration system;
- grass comb for working against walls and edging;
- Leaf Collect system for gathering dead leaves as you mow;
- warranty and after sales care: for a long-lasting purchase.
Types of electric lawnmowers according to cutting system and application
- rotary mowers;
- cylinder mowers;
- hover mowers;
- battery-operated mowers;
- push mowers;
- self-propelled mowers;
- mowers with mulchers;
- robotic mowers.
Electric cylinder mowers
While less common than other models, electric cylinder mowers are becoming more and more popular. Offering excellent cutting quality, they provide the ideal solution for more demanding users.
Rotary electric lawnmowers
The most popular type of mower, these models offer a range of advantages. Rotary blade mowers are easy to use, lightweight and more affordable.
Designed for small gardens, hover lawnmowers are lightweight, powerful, easy to handle, compact and offer a clean and tidy cut.
Electric push mowers
Along with hover mowers, electric push mowers are among some of the most affordable models available. They are straightforward to use, lightweight and easy to handle. However, they do work best on small, flat gardens.
Electric self-propelled mowers are recommended for areas of 500 m² or more, or those with a gentle slope.
Mowers with mulchers
Mulching offers an great alternative to traditional mowing. It involves cutting the grass up very finely in order to reintroduce it back into the soil where it is used as a natural fertiliser.
Battery-operated or cordless mowers
The advantage of these models is their lack of power cable; dealing with a cable around your feet can be tedious. Generally speaking, battery-operated mowers will perform as well as other models. However, they will only run as long as the battery lasts, they weigh slightly more and the battery will eventually wear out (even though this usually takes some time).
Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries are the most commonly used batteries for cordless mowers. These batteries are the most efficient on the market and are more or less standard; they offer quick charging, no memory effect and a long service life. There are two characteristics to compare:
- the voltage indicated in volts (V): the higher the voltage, the more powerful the mower;
- the amperage indicated in ampere hours (Ah): the higher the Ah, the longer the battery will run.
The latest models to arrive on the market, robot lawnmowers present an interesting option to anyone who doesn't have much time to mow and is willing to pay the price.
The main features of electric lawnmowers
Power rating of corded electric lawnmowers
The power of electric lawnmowers is measured in watts (W). Your lawnmower must be powerful enough to cover the lawn it will be mowing.
Lawnmower battery life and power
In order to evaluate the performance of lawnmower batteries, you'll have to think about both battery life and power.
- for a lawn measuring 300 m² or less, you will need around 18 V and 2 Ah;
- for gardens measuring 300 to 500 m, you will need 36 V and 3 Ah of power;
- for lawns measuring 500 to 700 m², go for 36 V and 5 Ah.
The cutting width of a lawnmower is linked to the size of your garden and determines how many times you will have to go back and forth.
The cutting height of lawnmowers will vary from 20 to 60 mm, depending on the model. Nonetheless, be sure to consider the cutting height of each model. Some lawnmowers offer a minimum cutting height of just 30 mm, which will prove frustrating for fans of short lawns!
Depending on the model, the capacity of the grass box may range from 30 to 60 litres. For a small garden (less than 400 m²), a grass box with a 30-litre capacity will suffice. For larger gardens, you'll need 50 or 60 litres.
Additional options and services for your electric lawnmower
The more high-end the lawnmower, the more straightforward and efficient the equipment will be to use. Your lawnmower may come with attachments such as:
- cutting height adjustments via a single knob or button;
- a grass box with a level indicator or one that can be folded for storage;
- ergonomic handle grips: used for quick and pleasant handling;
- an anti-vibration system made up of specially designed materials;
- a grass comb: this device allows you to cut right to the edge of walls and edging as the deck is the same width as the outside of the wheels.
- a Leaf Collect mode to gather dead leaves using a special blade.
Warranty and after-sales care
The most efficient and reliable lawnmowers available usually offer a longer warranty period than other models. Opting for a well-known brand means you will usually be able to find replacement parts.
Caring for electric lawnmowers
Albert, Manager of a gardening service, Leicester 48 guides écrits
In fact, as a trainee and working in the hospitality industry at the beginning of my career, I focused on landscaping in a local community where I acquired solid technical skills through in-house training and the follow-up of major projects in a rapidly changing town.
On a personal level, I am equally oriented towards the art of gardening. With my wife, I created our garden from start to finish and I maintain it carefully, the same goes for the vegetable garden. As for DIYing, it’s not to be outdone. Yes, gardening is also tinkering: pergola, hut, pavement, fence, and so on...There is always something to do in a garden.
After working well together, my wife and I are proud of the result and delighted to be able to take full advantage of a friendly and warm environment. So, let us give you advice and help you in your choice of tools, maintenance, or improvement of your garden, nothing could be simpler.