Doorbell and intercom buying guide
John, DIYer & IT developer, Brighton59 guides
- Videophone entry
Doorbell or intercom?
Wired or wireless?
How does a wired doorbell work?
The chime should allow volume and ringing tone to be adjusted.
What are the key boxes to tick with an intercom?
For its strength and durability, aluminium combined with zamak is a great choice!
Can you explain the IP weather protection system?
- 0, no protection;
- 1, protection against solid objects greater than 50mm;
- 2, protection against solid objects greater than 12.5mm;
- 3, protection against solid objects greater than 2.5mm;
- 4, protection against solid objects greater than 1mm;
- 5, some dust protection;
- 6, protection against all types of dust.
- 0, no protection;
- 1, condensation protection;
- 2, protection against light rain up to 15° from the vertical;
- 3, rain protection up to 60° from vertical;
- 4, protection against splashing water from any direction;
- 5, protection against jets of water;
- 6, protection against any kind of soaking including e.g. sea waves;
- 7, protection against brief immersion;
- 8, protection against permanent immersion.
How to choose your videophone?
Camera angle is also an important factor; the wider it is, the more you see on your monitor screen.
One last tip to stay connected?
In a flat, or if you have a small garden, a doorbell should be sufficient. If you have a large garden, you're paranoid about missing the postman, or you live in a bit of a "likely" area, choose an intercom or even a videophone that will provide maximum security and comfort when coupled with an electric release or automated gate. Without going as far as barricading the door, it's always good to avoid unwanted visitors!
Learn more about home security...
John, DIYer & IT developer, Brighton 59 guides écrits
Since I was a child, I was always interested in manual and technical works. Always fascinated by woodworking, I took advantage of my first flat as a playground. On the cards: electricity (of course, safety first!) and some partition walls; but also decorating with the help of the missus, made-to-measure furniture and little tricks to optimise the space, all the while remaining as original as possible. When the little one arrived, I started building bits and pieces for him!
Lacking space, I have not got a permanent workshop and certain tools I dream about but are not part of my collection. Not to worry, I already know a lot about DIY and I have a high-tech profile that I hope will guide you in your decisions!