Batteries for portable electric tools buying guide
Sebastian, self-taught DIY-er, Exeter177 guides
- Nickel cadmium
- Nickel metal hydride
- Amperage hour
Which type of battery do I choose: Ni-cd, lithium-ion or Ni-Mh?
Recently, it is tending to be replaced in favour of lithium-ion batteries. It is also recommended to fully drain Ni-Cd batteries before recharging and do not leave them on chargers once they are fully charged. These batteries have a large number of charge cycles, giving them a longer lifetime.
How to determine the power and autonomy of a battery
- The current of a battery is expressed in ampere hours (Ah), this value directly influences the run time and the charging capacity of the battery. The higher the amperage, the longer your battery will last.
- The voltage of a battery is expressed in volts (V) and quantifies the strength of the current the battery provides - more appropriately than simply calling it power. Thus, the higher the voltage, the greater the force the screwdriver will be able to deliver.
To choose a battery, it is, therefore, advisable to look for the combination of these two qualities that best suits your work. If the voltage of a battery must remain the same to not damage or inhibit your work, the amperage can be increased for a longer run time.
A final tip for choosing your battery
For do-it-yourselfers who are curious about know-how and want to learn more information related to batteries for portable electric tools, follow the advice of our editors and discover more of their guides:
- How to choose your power tool battery charger
- How to choose your electric screwdriver
- How to choose your electricitools
- How to choose your drill
And to work safely:
Sebastian, self-taught DIY-er, Exeter 177 guides écrits
Redo a roof with wooden beams? Check.
Advise Mister everybody in the DIY shop? Check.
Redo the bathroom plumbing? Check.
Fit together, build the walls, paint a partition, throw my hammer in a rage thinking that it will fix the problem? Check.
The DIY motto ? Learning is better than delegating… well, it's also a question about your wallet! The satisfaction? The beer at the end of the job!
What do the best have in common? The influence of Gyro Gearloose, Mac Gyver and Carol Smiley depending on your generation, a good dose of curiosity, a average hand-eye coordination and a taste for risks… and if it doesn't work, try again! Advise you? I'll do my best!
The products related to this guide
- Free delivery (postcode specific)