Guide written by:
Pauline, Self-taught handyman, Leeds
Do you need to decorate a bathroom for a girl? With all the different choices, from the pink overload, the princess bathroom and the classic girl's bathroom, is your DIY-loving heart having trouble choosing? Keep reading! We go through everything, from the decor to conveninent storage options for beauty products, it's our advice on how to design a practical and aesthetic bathroom.
- Color choice
- Essential accessories
- Practical material
- Deco tips
Stay away from girly bathroom cliche
When we say girl, most people immediately think pink. Quite on the contrary, another shade of color is just as ideal, and will evolve better as the child grows up. Please our children is always a priority, but a pink bathroom covered in Frozen decoration will be quickly out of date once a new trend starts...
By choosing white, cream or grey walls and leaving only a single wall panel for a touch of color, your bathroom is ready for future remodels, yet still has a modern decor. You can for example apply a patterned wallpaper with dots, either multicolors or white on colored background, flowers or even exotic or baroque designs.
When it comes to the bathroom furniture, do not hesitate to add a bench, a bean-bag chair, or a comfy armchair: any type of seat is ideal for the occasional nail polish time or perfecting a hairstyle in front of the mirror.
Here are some stylish ideas for a little girl's or teen's bathroom:
- A flowery bathroom with artificial flowers, light motifs paired with shades of pink to purple.
Tips and tricks for a beautiful bathroom
To get the perfect little girls' bathroom, we would recommend avoiding the use of too much pink. Instead, use brightly colored accessories like a shower curtain or shades of pastel to add the missing colors.
Here are some perfect accessory ideas specifically for girls:
- A shower curtain with flowers or colored bubbles;
- Embroidered linen or with lace on its edges;
- A soap dish and a toothbrush holder with colored or geometric patterns;
- Jars with bath salts, scented bubble bath, cottons;
- One or two frames (plastic is best) with posters of cartoon characters or animals;
What to expect from a girl's bathroom?
You'll be shocked to learn that girls tend to use a certain number of products and appliances to take care of their body and beauty. To avoid this clutter ending up on the edge of the sink, it is absolutely essential to install a large bathroom cabinet. It can be directly above the sink and be equipped with an integrated mirror with a stylish frame. For younger girls, a vanity set with storage baskets and a small step is ideal, but needs to be planned in advance!
Very practical, a rolling trolley (like the one used in the hair salons) can offer 3 or 4 stories of storage. It is ideal for beauty products, jewelry, or even brushes.
It's also important to remember to have a couple electrical outlets available to facilitate the daily use of hair straighteners, hair dryers and epilators, to name but a few.
Here's the most practical accessory: a hair dryer stand! This small element features to ability to cool the hair dryer and store it at the same time.
You should now have a complete knowledge of the possible decor styles for a girl's bathroom, both big and small. The secret is to combine aesthetically pleasing elements with practicality and simplicity of use. This should make designing and decorating a girl's bathroom child's play, or almost!
A child's bathroom can quickly become a land of adventure and fantasy. To make sure your bathroom lives up to their expectations, follow the links below for related accessories, advice from our editors and more helpful guides:
- Shower or bath: what's best for your bathroom?
- How to achieve a successful bathroom decor?
- How to choose your bathroom furniture?
- Bathrooms: styles and trends
- How to choose your bathroom mirror?
- How to choose your bath mat?
- How to choose your planters?
- How to choose your bathroom scale?
- How to choose your shower curtain?
- How to choose your bathroom accessories?
- How to choose your toilet seat?
- How to choose your toilet?
- How to choose your bathroom sink?
- How to choose your electrical outlets?
- How to choose your bathroom towel rails and hooks?
- How to choose your bathroom radio and speakers?
- How to choose your stepladder?
- How to choose your kitchen and bathroom paint?
- How to choose your toilet booster or reducer seat?
- How to choose your toilet paper holder?
- How to choose your toilet brush holder?
Guide written by:
Pauline, Self-taught handyman, Leeds, 97 guides
With a handyman-father, I grew up with the soft sound of the sander and hammer on weekends. I am both manual and cerebral (yes, it is possible.), I learned the basics of DIY and the customization of furniture because I was passionate. The salvage mentality is a true way of life that allowed me to know how to use all the tools and products needed to give something a second life, from sander to varnish. I have two favorite activities: the transformation of old furniture and decoration tips. I am always ready to lend a helping hand to revamp a table or to restore a mirror that was intended for the trash that will become a friend’s centerpiece. I’m convinced that it’s possible to reinvent an interior by small, regular modifications, I constantly research low-cost, test ideas.