Bathroom accessories buying guide
Sebastian, self-taught DIY-er, Exeter184 guides
- Sink and wash basin accessories
- Shower and bathtub accessories
- Toilet accessories
Different types of bathroom accessories
Bathroom accessories can serve a range of purposes and can be designed for use by the sink, on a bathroom countertop, in the shower or bathtub or for the toilet. They should be chosen according to your needs, as well as the style of your bathroom. These accessories, from the most basic soap holder to a telescopic magnifying bathroom mirror, come in two different types: ones you simply place on the counter and ones that require some installation.
Free-standing bathroom accessories
These accessories can easily be replaced and can make up an integral part of your decor. As they take up space (on the floor, on the toilet, etc.) they are not recommended for small bathrooms. They will also require more regular cleaning.
Fitted bathroom accessories
Some accessories require installation, such as some types of soap holders, soap dispensers or toothbrush holders. Other accessories, such as toilet roll holders, towel rails and shelves, are almost always fixed to a wall.
This type of bathroom accessory is more practical and offers a longer service life as it is subject to less wear. The materials used to make these accessories can also vary. Bathroom and shower shelves can be made of plastic, glass, aluminium, stainless steel, to name but a few options. In order to fit these accessory, you will generally need a drill as you will often have to drill into bathroom tiles. You'll also have to make sure to choose the proper fixing plugs.
Some bathroom accessories can be fixed via suction cup (towel hooks, shower soap holders or sponge holders); others can be hung – although it is not recommended to hang anything too heavy.
Bathroom accessories: materials and styles
Broadly speaking, there are as many styles of bathroom accessories as there are types of bathroom decor. To make sure your bathroom accessories match the overall ambiance you're going for, you'll have to choose the right style and materials.
Bathroom accessory styles
The style of bathroom accessories style is determined by their shape and the type of the materials used to make them.
- Contemporary or modern: accessories generally made of plastic, ceramic, glass, resin or stainless steel; simple and streamlined designs.
- Classic or zen style: ceramic, wood or stone; simple, round or rounded shapes.
- Vintage or romantic style: glass, iron, porcelain, enamelled steel; structured shapes with details and trims, or a combination of materials.
Materials of bathroom accessories
Ceramic, glass or porcelain in which case they are fragile but easy to maintain;
Wood or stone: stronger but more difficult to clean;
Iron or steel enamel: resistant and easy to clean.
No matter which material you go for, it is crucial to use a suitable cleaning product. Your cleaning products should not harm the surface of the material but should be strong enough to disinfect your accessories.
Bathroom accessory sets
Soap and toothbrush holder sets
Bathroom accessories can be sold individually or in sets. It is common to find sets comprising the following accessories:
- Liquid soap dispensers;
- Toothbrush holders;
- Cup or cup holders;
- soap dishes.
Shower shelves and curtains
Shower accessories are designed to make your products more accessible and to generally improve comfort. These include:
- Shower curtains: usually made of polyester or a polyethylene / EVA blend, shower curtains can be plain or patterned, and must be waterproof;
- Bathtub and shower mats: these non-slip mats can be made of PVC or rubber and can be equipped with suction cups. They offer grip to reduce the risk of falling and can be made of wood;
- Shelves and shower baskets: used to store shower products, shelves can be installed using screws or suction cups. They are often made of plastic, chromed-plated steel, aluminium or stainless steel;
- Soap/shower gel/shampoo dispensers: wall mounted or free-standing, soap dispensers are generally made of plastic, chrome, aluminium or stainless steel.
Towel rails and hooks
Toilet roll and brush holders, and waste bins
Toilet accessories can be free-standing or fixed to a surface. The most common toilet accessories are as follows:
- A toilet brush and brush holder: generally made of plastic, some brush holders are made of wood or steel and come with a plastic-lined container to hold the brush;
- A toilet roll holder: also known as a toilet roll dispenser, these holders are most commonly fixed to a wall. Ranging from basic to elaborate in terms of design, they come in all sorts of different materials (plastic, wood, aluminium, stainless steel etc.) and can sometimes feature a lid;
- Toilet seat: made of plastic, wood or composite materials, toilet seats can be plain or patterned;
- The bathroom waste bin: with various materials and sizes to choose from, bathroom bins are usually operated using a pedal;
- A pedestal mat rug: whether plain or patterned, toilet mats are made of cotton, polyester or microfibre.
Materials, price ranges and quality
- Low-end bathroom accessories tend to be made of plastic and usually sold in kits. These are generally free-standing accessories designed to be placed around bathtubs, sinks or toilets. Aluminium or stainless steel accessories are more resistant and have a longer service life, making them more expensive to buy.
- Chrome-plated steel accessories are generally entry-level products as corrosion tends to set in after a while.
- Ceramic and glass are cheaper than porcelain (which is usually used for vintage-style bathrooms).
Sebastian, self-taught DIY-er, Exeter 184 guides écrits
The DIY motto ? Learning is better than delegating… well, it's also a question about your wallet! The satisfaction? The beer at the end of the job! What do the best have in common? The influence of Gyro Gearloose, Mac Gyver and Carol Smiley depending on your generation, a good dose of curiosity, a average hand-eye coordination and a taste for risks… and if it doesn't work, try again! Advise you? I'll do my best!
The products related to this guide
- Free delivery (postcode specific)
- Free delivery (postcode specific)