Bath waste system buying guide
Jeremy, construction site supervisor, Cardiff118 guides
- Type of closure
Why equip a bathtub with a waste system?
Let's take you bathtub. You should be able to take both a shower or a bath in it, as you desire. It is therefore necessary for the waste system to allow a rapid evacuation of the water as it flows from the shower column and to it ensures the proper seal, so that the bath fills.
Elements of a bath waste system
- Between vertical bung and overflow = 400 mm;
- Between horizontal bung and overflow = 200 mm;
- Length of overflow tube = 54 to 130 cm;
- Drain with water guard greater than or equal to 50 mm.
When choosing your waste system, make sure that the model you have chosen is standard or universal.
What are the different types of waste systems?
Different types of bath waste systems are available to provide all the required functions. They are all composed of at least one bung, one drain and one overflow pipe. The difference between the models is the shutter's control mechanism:
- The conventional system consists of a cable connected to a lever on the bung opens or closes the flow. The cable is connected at the other end to the knob or pull-cord;
- The system with automatic closing allows for the opening or the closing of the flow with a simple pressure of the foot on the bung, referred to as "force closing";
- The manual system where the seal is provided by a rubber stopper equipped with a metal chain.
What are the factors to consider when choosing a waste system?
If your bathtub is of the standard dimensions, the different measurements should not represent any difficulties since they are all identical. Nevertheless, it would be good to be aware of the following features.
Characteristics of waste systems
Bath drainage diameter
- 90 mm
- 60 mm
Built-in overflow: some bathtubs have an overflow pipe embedded in the configuration, who's outlet is directly to the side of the main drain hole.
- Manual shutter with stopper and chain.
- Shutter controlled, with knob or pull.
- Automatic shutter.
Diameter of the evacuation
A clogging or blocage may always occur. It may be because of waste, hair or an object that got past the bung. It may also be that the flow is no longer correct.
For any DIYers in full bathroom renovation mode, or bath-tub lovers who want to upgrade, follow the links below for bathroom-related accessories, advice from our editors and more helpful guides:
- How to choose your bathtub?
- How to choose your balneo bathtub?
- How to choose your sauna?
- How to choose your shower cubicle?
- How to choose your shower tray?
- How to choose your shower drain?
- How to clean your bathroom?
- How to connect PVC pipes to your installation?
- How to choose your toilet?
- How to choose your toilet support stand?
- How to choose your bidet?
- How to choose your bathroom sink?
- How to choose your bathroom faucet?
- How to choose your bathroom lighting?
- How to choose your bathroom accessories?
- How to choose your bathroom furniture?
Jeremy, construction site supervisor, Cardiff 118 guides écrits
Electrician by trade, I first worked in industrial estates where I installed, wired and fixed a large number of electrical installations. After this, I managed a team of electricians for this type of work. 10 years or so ago, I turned to building and construction. From the modest family home, to gyms and theatres; I have been able to coordinate, audit and organise all sorts of construction sites.
for 4 years now, I am restaoring and bulding an extrension to a bungalow in the heart of the welsh countyside. My experience in manual work and my knowledge means I am proud to be of service. Terraces, interior design, roofing, plumbing, electricty, anything goes! We have, my wife, daughter and I, built almost everything we have from scratch! So to answer all of your questions, and to orientate and advise you on coosing your tools? Easy!
The products related to this guide
- Free delivery (postcode specific)
- Free delivery (postcode specific)